We recently had a customer call in asking for an inspection on her chimney. She had it inspected by another contractor but was scared off by his over exaggerations about what needed to be done. When we went in to give it a look, we found that the lead flashing showed animal bite markings that screamed, "squirrel!"
As a result, we removed all lead flashing and replaced it with new copper flashing that critters cannot bite through. We also replaced various damaged bricks in the mortar of the chimney to protect it's structure.