Windows are one of the most prominent features of our homes; they should enhance the look of the home and make it comfortable. When they don’t, homeowners start to think about replacement windows. Deciding to replace your windows in Needham is a big investment. You want to make sure you do it right and are getting the best value for your money but are also getting a product that works and that you love. Choosing the perfect window is based on a combination of factors which will each carry a different weight with you depending on your specific needs. At GF Sprague, we help hundreds of customers every year choose their replacement windows in Needham. Here are a few of the top questions we ask our customers to help them make a decision.
Questions To Ask Yourself When Purchasing Replacement Windows In Needham
While everyone wants to know what it’s going to cost to replace their windows in Needham, it shouldn’t be the only thing you base your decision on. With all the varieties of windows available, you will always be able to find replacement windows in Needham that fit your needs and your budget. To find the best windows for your home ask yourself these questions:
- “What do I need the windows to do?” Determining your needs is the first step in any project and windows are no exception. You might want windows that let in more light or provide better ventilation or you may want windows that are easier to open or are better at blocking out street noise. Think about what you love and hate about your current windows and talk to us about how you can improve the shortfalls.
- “What look do I want?” Putting in new windows in Needham gives you the chance to completely change the look of your home. You can enhance your curb appeal and find windows that complement your home’s architecture. There are hundreds of styles to choose from. You’ll find one that can meet your needs and look good while doing it.
- “How do they work?” One of the biggest complaints we have from homeowners looking for new windows in Needham is that their current windows just don’t work. Either they are sticky and hard to open or they are drafty and don’t fully close. Or maybe they’ve never been really functional and they’re just tired of fighting with them. New models come in a variety of styles: cranks, sliders, double-hung, push-out or even glass that doesn’t open at all. You don’t have to decide on one style for the whole home. Think about each location and choose the window design that works best in that spot. You may not want the bay window on the front of the house to open and you may find a crank or push-out window easier to manage in the kitchen than a double-hung or slider.
- “What kind of maintenance is needed?” Some windows require more maintenance than others. Wooden windows, for example, will require sealing to prevent moisture from seeping in. Vinyl windows won’t have that same level of maintenance. Similarly, think about how the windows will be cleaned. Can you clean both sides yourself or will you need to call in a professional? Some windows have a tilt/slide function that allows you to remove the window so you can clean it properly.
- “How efficient are they?” Energy efficiency is one of the top concerns of homeowners who are buying replacement windows in Needham. If this is a concern of yours, look at the R-Value and the U-Factor of the windows you’re considering. The R-Value tells you how well the window insulates while the U-Factor indicates how well it keeps heat inside. Low-e insulating glass has better energy efficiency than other types of glass while heat-absorbing or reflective glass can both help prevent heat from coming into the home.
- “What is the installation process and warranty like?” Purchasing the most expensive, energy-efficient windows in Needham won’t mean anything if they’re installed improperly. ALWAYS make sure your installers are experienced at putting in the windows you select. Improper installation can void the manufacturer’s warranty, negate any utility cost savings you were hoping for and cause the windows to fail before their time. Ask for references and check them. Discuss repair services and make sure you understand the warranty or warranties. Sometimes the warranty only covers the product. Sometimes it only covers installation. Sometimes it covers both. Understand what you are getting and how to use it if you need to.
For more advice on replacing windows in Needham, contact GF Sprague at 781-455-0556. We are always happy to discuss your home improvement and remodeling needs!
A Message By Jerry Sprague, the Founder of G.F. Sprague & Co. Inc.
Four Compelling Reasons to Trust & Work with G.F. Sprague & Co.Inc.
- 40-Yr Warranty
- 5-Star Service
- Certs & Insurances
G.F. Sprague and Co. Inc. provides you a 40 yr. Workmanship Warranty on any of the work GF Sprague complete for you. Our workmanship warranty is greater than TWICE the average warranty provided here in Mass.. When you look at value, and the strength of someone’s word, look to see how long they are willing to honor it. Receive the best warranty in Massachusetts, select G.F. Sprague & Co. Inc.
The focus of every person who works at GF Sprague is to make your experience with GF Sprague as effortless and rewarding as possible. You know your project is the hands of very able experts, but we at GF Sprague also want to provide the peace of mind that comes with knowing GF Sprague’s employees are here to support and serve YOU throughout the process, with open correspondence and a helpful attitude. In order to achieve this promise we have set up the GF Sprague 5-Star Service Program. We at GF Sprague want you to rank us in several key areas so that we know we are completing our project well, or to discover where we must improve. IF, AT ANY INSTANCE DURING YOUR PROJECT, YOU FEEL GF SPRAGUE IS NOT MEETING OUR PROMISE OF A “5-STAR” PERFORMANCE RATING, PLEASE INFORM US! WE’D LIKE THE CHANCE TO RECTIFY YOUR ISSUES IMMEDIATELY. At the end of your project, we’ll ask you to fill out a 5- Star Service rating form. Be honest! We really want to be made aware of how well we lived up to (or exceeded!) your aspirations. We appreciate for the confidence you have placed in our people and GF Sprague, and we promise to work as hard as possible to earn your trust.
Massachusetts DCAM Certification – G.F. Sprague DCAM License #08-0165
The Division of Capital Asset Management (DCAM) is the state agency responsible for major public construction and real estate services for the Commonwealth of Ma. The agency promotes quality and integrity in the Commonwealth’s building construction and real estate operations. A DCAM certification is the only license which qualifies a contractor for a specific trade, and a contractor must be recertified by DCAM every year. This certification process and commitment makes it a good measure of the quality of a contractor.
The highest value manufacturers want to ensure that their products are being correctly installed, and they put contractors through training, testing and (in some cases) retesting before granting certification. In many circumstances, manufacturer certification of the contractor is a must in order for the product warranty to be valid. Many manufacturers also require contractors to receive refresher training and to update their certifications each year. Be sure to ask to see the manufacturers’ certifications before hiring a roofer, and make sure your proposal includes everything required to prevent voiding the manufacturer’s warranty.
Massachusetts Construction License
– G.F. Sprague Construction License #cs20976, with no exceptions
Unfortunately this license requires little skill and no previous experience associated with a specific trade; like roofing. The one-time exam is based on general home codes and only new construction, not re-roofing and with few questions related specifically to roofing. Although your city or town may only require a Ma Construction License for a roofer to purchase a license, it does not ensure that the company is qualified the contractor is qualified to work on your home.
Home Improvement Contractor Registration (HIC) – G.F. Sprague HIC Registration #104531
The only requirement for this license is that the roofing company enter a registration form and pay into a fund. There is no qualifying or testing of the contractor’s knowledge or experience. Just about anybody can get this registration license.
Insurance Coverage Certificates
A certificate of insurance clearly shows the types of insurance carried by a roofing company, including the coverage limits and expiration dates. Insist on reviewing all certificates of insurance e.g.workman’s compensation, liability, vehicle; prior to employing any roofing company. At GF Sprague, all of our insurance certificates are available upon request.
Review Site Summary:
Towns in Massachusetts We Service
Services We Provide in Needham Ma
Roofing in Needham Ma
Your roofing system is the single most important structural system for guarding against your home against wind, bad weather and wildlife. Therefore, it has to be built to protect against sun burnout, wind lift up, torrential driving rains, heavy snow, ice back ups, thunderstorms, animals clawing, knawing, pecking to get in, rotting, falling leaves and branches cutting through whatever Mother Nature can throw at it!
Gutters in Needham Ma
almost all of us would eliminate gutters altogether if we could. So why are they required on many homes? Because of home design, construction and the surrounding terrain, the water coming down on your roof must be carried away from the house. Without gutters, water and ice would erode your siding, windows, lower roofs, foundation, landscaping and anything in the way of cascading water in all forms.
Chimneys in Needham Ma
Your chimney is exposed to similar weather conditions and elements as your roof, and will (can) also suffer harmful damage and deterioration. Your homes’ chimney should be looked at regularly, preferably in the spring or early summer when heating season is over. That way, you’ll minimize any destruction and allocate enough time to schedule any repairs you may require prior to a new heating season begins in the fall.
Replacement Windows in Needham Ma
Brand new replacement windows should be one of your homes most appealing features. New windows can provide you with convenient cooling, ease of operability, exceptional natural light, and maintenance convenience not experienced with older windows. If you own an older house, or older windows, you could be throwing up to 30% of your heating and cooling budget out the window, literally. The average for the year 2011 the owner anticipates to get back approximately 69% when the home was sold when replacing their less efficient replacement windows. Now there are so many makers of windows, it can be frustrating trying to choose a top quality replacement window. Of course every window producer or window salesperson claims to have the best replacement window.
Radiant Barrier in Needham Ma
The insulation in your home’s attic is designed to reduce the transfer of heat from inside the space underneath your roofing. But even the thickest, most effective insulation requires help. That’s where Radiant Barrier comes in. Radiant Barrier is a layer of high-tech material that covers up your present insulation and reflects the escaping heat back into your home to keep you nice and warm all winter. In the summer, Radiant Barrier serves to reflect attic heat away from your home’s interior to keep you cool and comfortable.
Ice Dam Removal in Needham Ma
The freezing conditions and snowfall that occur in New England in Winter (and into the early Spring) can produce a dangerous condition known as “ice dams.” An ice dam happens when the temperature of the inside of your home’s attic is warmer than temperature of your roof. Snow and ice on the warm surface of the roof melt from the bottom up, and the resulting water flows down toward your gutters.
Storm Damage Repairs in Needham Ma
Call GF Sprague at 781-455-0556 for 24-hr emergency home repairs. If your roof, gutters, or chimney should experience a small leak to massive damage as a result of wind, rain, snow storms, roof ice, falling trees or utility poles, you often cannot wait for a warm sunny time to make repairs! Or if your chimney or gutters are broken and immediate repair is necessary, there is only one call to make: Call the experts from GF Sprague! Our Emergency Response Team is “on call” 24 hours to provide emergency repairs.
Emergency Repairs in Needham Ma
24 HOUR EMERGENCY REPAIR SERVICES FOR EMERGENCY SERVICES, CALL 781-455-0556. If your roof, gutters, or chimneys should experience a small leak to massive damage as a result of high wind, rain, snow, ice back up, broken tree branches or utility poles, you quite often cannot wait for a pleasant day to make repairs! Or if your chimney or gutters are damaged and immediate repair is required, there is only one call to make: Call the experts from GF Sprague!
- Roofing Repair & Installation
- Gutters & Flashing
- Radiant Barrier
- Ice Dam Problems
- Storm Damage
- 24 Hour Emergency Repair
See What G.F. Sprague Customers Are Saying Around Needham Ma
Call 781-455-0556 Now For Your Needham Quote
Nichole Hoban is a guest blogger for G.F. Sprague & Co. Inc. She specializes in roofing, windows, gutters, chimneys, and other home improvement topics.